Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 21:55:38 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 17:11:32 -0400, wrote:

Yes, but the difference is that with a flat or sulphated
battery, the engine can still be cranked over, albeit
very slowly, but the battery may well be producing
a much lower than normal voltage that isnt enough
to produce a decent spark to get the engine firing
in the worst weather conditions in a car with an
old well ****ed distributor and plug leads and
spark plugs.

.. made me wonder how old the car would be
- if it has a distributor - early 1990's ?
or even older ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributor

John T.

Computerized electronic ignition is even fussier. Many will not
provide a spark (oe fire the injectors) below 9 volts - and some will
not produce a spark below about 600 rpm cranking speed (ones with
inductive pickup instead of hall effect)

Yep . but how old for a distributor ?
... my old memory banks are asking ..
My 1980 F100 had one ;
I think my 1990 B2200 had one .. not sure.
.. after that dunno.
John T.