Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Electrical wire size to jump car engine

On 10/04/2019 4:00 pm, Hugh Byrne wrote:
Today the car wouldn't start at a friend's house who had no jumper cables.
He had some electrical wire though.
We were just starting to jury rig something when his wife showed up with
cables in her trunk.

If we did jury rig electrical wires, we were unsure of what size would
work.

How can we determine what size electrical wire would work to jump a typical
sedan in an emergency?

**It depends on a vast range of factors, including:

* The length of the wires (and this is the most critical one).
* The ability of the flat battery to accept charge.
* The size of the engine to be started.
* Whether the engine is petrol (gasoline) or Diesel (Diesels are much
harder to start).

You could, for instance, arrange a nice, slow trickle charge into the
flat battery over an hour or so, using modestly sized wire and still
start the engine.

I keep one of these in my car:

https://www.baintech.com.au/btcap

Mine came from Aldi and cost AUD$129.00. It can be charged from a
variety of sources, including the host battery, USB wall wart and a
laptop USB port.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au