Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 3:10:53 PM UTC-4, Hugh Byrne wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote on Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:15:09 -0400

I don't recall the last time I needed to use them, but I always carry a
set. I bet you do now too. You can get them for as little at $10.

Thank you everyone.
I will get 6 gauge or 4 gauge or even smaller (lower numbers being better
especially for longer distances).

I found a lot to choose from at home depot online
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Automoti...s/N-5yc1vZc8mb
Not so many at Lowes online and much higher prices
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...priceLowToHigh

What LENGTH is a good compromise between packing in the trunk & usefulness?
10 feet?
12 feet?
16 feet?
I'm kind of leaning toward buying three sets, one for each car.

I'd size it like this. Suppose the car is parked head in to a wall
with parking spaces on either side. Assume your battery is in the
engine compartment and the other car has a battery on the opposite
side. So, you should be able to go about two car widths plus whatever
typical space is ~3 ft?, between cars. That would certainly cover
the vast majority of situations you might need to use it in. I'd
say that most times you would need much less. I'm sure there are
other situations where longer would be needed, but most of those
cases you could push the car to where you could use shorter cables.
IDK how long mine are, but I suspect it's more like 12 ft than 16.