Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:10:50 -0400, Hugh Byrne wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote on Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:15:09 -0400

I don't recall the last time I needed to use them, but I always carry a
set. I bet you do now too. You can get them for as little at $10.

Thank you everyone.
I will get 6 gauge or 4 gauge or even smaller (lower numbers being better
especially for longer distances).

I found a lot to choose from at home depot online
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Automoti...s/N-5yc1vZc8mb
Not so many at Lowes online and much higher prices
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...priceLowToHigh

What LENGTH is a good compromise between packing in the trunk & usefulness?
10 feet?
12 feet?
16 feet?
I'm kind of leaning toward buying three sets, one for each car.

20 foot 2 gauge will never fail you. Probably overkill, but I still have 2 sets.
They are good for conducting enough current to start most cars in sub-zero conditions,
even with a dead battery. If it's got engine problems all bet are off.
Here a couple tips. You must hear a load on the alternator of the charging car when you
connect the cables. It's very noticeable. If you don't hear it you don't have a good
connection. Especially with thin cable, once you know your connection is good, wait a
minute or three before you try to start the dead car. If it barely cranks, wait longer.
Longer cables make for easier good connections, but longer also means thicker.