Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

"Hugh Byrne" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote on Wed, 10 Apr 2019 10:15:09 -0400

I don't recall the last time I needed to use them, but I always carry a
set. I bet you do now too. You can get them for as little at $10.

Thank you everyone.
I will get 6 gauge or 4 gauge or even smaller (lower numbers being better
especially for longer distances).

I found a lot to choose from at home depot online
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Automoti...s/N-5yc1vZc8mb
Not so many at Lowes online and much higher prices
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...priceLowToHigh

What LENGTH is a good compromise between packing in the trunk &
usefulness?
10 feet?
12 feet?
16 feet?

Last time I needed to use one on a mate's wife's car, the car
was in a parking lot at the hospital nose in where it wasnt
possible to park beside it. I fudged it by driving mine over
the grass at the side of the parking lot and got away with
that because it was after the chemotherapy place had
closed and there was no one around. So the longer
the better if you want to handle all situations easily.
16 feet doesnt really take up much more space than
10 feet given it lies pretty flat.

And for the mindless nit pickers, it wasnt feasible to push
the car out of the parking place, there was just me and her
ancient mother and her ancient mother's mate there. He
was 70 miles away and rang me to get me to help her.

I'm kind of leaning toward buying three sets, one for each car.

Yeah, can be handy at times. Tho one of those Li ion power bank
starters is even more convenient at times because you dont need
another car to jump start to;. Cost more tho.