Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 10:15:14 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/10/2019 2:00 AM, Hugh Byrne wrote:
Today the car wouldn't start at a friend's house who had no jumper
cables.
He had some electrical wire though.
We were just starting to jury rig something when his wife showed up
with
cables in her trunk.

If we did jury rig electrical wires, we were unsure of what size would
work.

How can we determine what size electrical wire would work to jump a
typical
sedan in an emergency?

Most cables are about a 6 gauge wire, better ones are 4 gauge. You
could double up a thinner wire. You also have to figure out how to
connect for good contact too.

I don't recall the last time I needed to use them, but I always carry a
set. I bet you do now too. You can get them for as little at $10.

So, all this is for ICE cars. If you have one of those electric cars
and you are out of juice, at the side of the road, what do they do?

You get it towed to where it can be charged, or at most
use a generator to charge it, but it needs to be a pretty
decent generator to charge it enough to get far in a
reasonable time.

You can't just jump start it, you have to put enough charge
it it to get it somewhere to plug in. So, what do they do?

See above.

Like if you have such a car and call AAA what do they do?
I expect it's tow you to someplace to plug in.

Or load it onto a truck and move it that way.