Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car jumper cable wire size

On 4/10/2019 2:00 AM, Hugh Byrne wrote:
Today the car wouldn't start at a friend's house who had no jumper cables.
He had some electrical wire though.
We were just starting to jury rig something when his wife showed up with
cables in her trunk.

If we did jury rig electrical wires, we were unsure of what size would
work.

How can we determine what size electrical wire would work to jump a typical
sedan in an emergency?

Most cables are about a 6 gauge wire, better ones are 4 gauge. You
could double up a thinner wire. You also have to figure out how to
connect for good contact too.

I don't recall the last time I needed to use them, but I always carry a
set. I bet you do now too. You can get them for as little at $10.