Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default replacing the PCB in a gas boiler (ATAG E32C)

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 1:10:51 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

The numerical display on my ATAG E32C combi boiler is failing; half the
segments don't work any more. This display is on the PCB so I'm
guessing the whole PCB has to be replaced. It's about 10 years old.

I can buy a repalcement board for about £200.

Any ID on the display components? With the replacement coating that much
Id be tempted to try just replacing the display elements.

If you can post a picture of the display, that would help us ID it.

Assuming it's this board:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATAG-S473...-/323535065962
it doesn't show any display. Is it on a separate plugin module? Is the
module plugged in directly or via a cable? What kind of display is it?
(Dot matrix, 7 segment with custom symbols, graphical?) Is it a
calculator-type LCD (with backlight) or do the segments light up (LED, OLED
or VFD)?

The classic dot matrix 16x2 character displays look like this:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/399
but it sounds more like it's a custom segmented display, which would make it
more difficult to find a match.

Ah, scratch that. The above picture shows a bank of four 7 segment LEDs
next to the buttons - they're so overexposed that I missed them first time
around. Those would be relatively straightforward to replace with a
soldering iron.

Next question, can you describe a pattern of which segments are failed? For
example, it might be the top segment on each digit. Such a pattern points
to the driver chip. That appears to be the chip on the picture to the left
of where it's printed 'OK' upside down at the bottom of this image:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JygAA...Ui/s-l1600.jpg
Can you read what's written on that chip?

Theo
(in Cambridge...)

I think it's on the back. Check the other images on that listing...

Tim