Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Car jumper cable wire size

"Hugh Byrne" wrote in message
Today the car wouldn't start at a friend's house who had no jumper cables.
He had some electrical wire though.
We were just starting to jury rig something when his wife showed up with
cables in her trunk.

If we did jury rig electrical wires, we were unsure of what size would
work.

How can we determine what size electrical wire would work to jump a
typical
sedan in an emergency?

There is no real way to do that and the quite minimal wire that some
power bank starters is no real indication given that those are much
shorter than normal jumper cables. And what works really depends
on how ****ed the battery in the car that wont start is too. Sometimes
the problem is just that the voltage with the battery in the car which
wont start sags too much to provide enough voltage to see the
spark plugs firing well and that the reason it doesn’t start. So you
don’t necessarily need a lot of current thru the jumper to the car
used to start it, its not actually turning the starter motor over.