Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Is bad practice to fit wood across/along grain?

I need to fit two chunks of wooden worktop together with their grain
running at right angles. I know I *could* run the join at 45 degrees
but that involves all sorts of other problems and compromises.

So, do I need to allow the joint to move to allow for differential
expansion along and across the grain? It'll be in a fairly low
humidity environment but the temperature is likely to fluctuate quite
a lot (basically in line with outside temperature).

It's oak if that makes any difference.

--
Chris Green
ยท