Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

On 4/8/2019 5:00 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 1:11:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Just FYI...

This is an unbiased review of the Wen planer that I have. If you start=20
at 3:15, he talks about the snipe and at about 3:40 there's a picture of
a sniped board. That picture is consistent with what I get. As you can=20
see, it sure is a lot more than 3/4". 3/4" would be nice. ;-)

Lifting helps somewhat, but it doesn't eliminate it all. With shortish
boards, a diagonal feed helps a lot - really a lot. I need to play around
some more with sacrificial runners, leading and trailing boards, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbyHKLOqJeUM

I think you'll find that the amount of snipe is generally correlated with the
distance between the infeed roller and the cutterhead.

Actually probably between the cutter head and the out feed roller.

The reason that I try to lift/pivot up the trailing end of the board so
that the leading edge is pointed down/forced down against the bed of the
planer until the out feed can hold the board down.