Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Sunday, April 7, 2019 at 1:11:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Just FYI...

This is an unbiased review of the Wen planer that I have. If you start=20
at 3:15, he talks about the snipe and at about 3:40 there's a picture of
a sniped board. That picture is consistent with what I get. As you can=20
see, it sure is a lot more than 3/4". 3/4" would be nice. ;-)

Lifting helps somewhat, but it doesn't eliminate it all. With shortish
boards, a diagonal feed helps a lot - really a lot. I need to play around
some more with sacrificial runners, leading and trailing boards, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbyHKLOqJeUM

I think you'll find that the amount of snipe is generally correlated with the
distance between the infeed roller and the cutterhead.