Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Quinetic switch review

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Interesting devices. I've now got a 2-gang switch and two receivers - one
for the ceiling light and one for the wall lights.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Quinetic/Quinetic/index.html

I was pleased to find there is no delay whatsoever; I thought there might
be a noticeable fraction of a second, but that isn't the case. So overall
it does what it says on the tin, but there are some points for
consideration. In particular, somehow I got the gangs out of
synchronisation, so one was on when the top was pressed, the other on when
the bottom was pressed! This might be due to turning on and off too
quickly, or maybe an interfering signal confused the receiver.

Annoyingly, there is no through connection on the receiver for earth, so a
crimp or block is needed if the light fitting has to be earthed. Secondly,
as the switch came it was press the top to turn on the light, press bottom
to switch off. This seems a bit strange in the UK, and, as far as I can
see, the switch can't be mounted upside-down. The outer frame has
"Quinetic" printed on it for a start, which would look a bit odd
upside-down. However, the actual switch itself can be inverted in the
outer frame, except that the metal fixing plate only goes on one way, and
the switch might be loose if mounted upside-down. There is a way round
this, as the switch sends an identical signal for on and off. To get the
switch for top on or bottom on, or to get the gangs back in sync, make
sure the lights are off, then take the switch out of range of the
receiver, and set it the way you want it to be off. On returning, and in
range, it should then work correctly.

Finally, if you are going to use the Quinetic switch to replace a wired
switch faceplate screwed to a pattress you will need to purchase an
adapter plate so the Quinetic switch can be screwed to the pattress.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QURCP.html

The Hue system is a lot more flexible and still has those kinetic
switches if you want them. No receiver, its all done in the bulbs. So
no farting around at the bulb, just install the bulb in the usual way.
Much more flexible in what a particular switch actually does lights
wise. You can switch multiple bulbs, have one switch which turns
all the lights on in a particular area, and set the color temp or an
actual color too. Not as cheap, but much more flexible.