Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How should I make this curve?

On 4/5/2019 11:57 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 11:09:57 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 4/5/2019 6:30 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 11:22:27 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Yex, I do not cut close to the line, I let the router take a full width
cut and go deeper with each pass.

What size bit do you typically use? And another ignorant question:
As the bit will have wood on both sides, which direction do you move the router?
I'm going to guess that it doesn't matter, but that I should keep it consistent.

IIRC I used a 1/2" bit. I went counter clockwise for a lazy Susan piece
that I did a couple of years ago. In your case I would go clockwise.
You typically want the bit to be cutting away from the piece you want to
keep.

Shouldn't that be leading cutter rotating into
the piece you want to keep ?
.. experiment on a scrap piece to be sure ..
John T.

OK, so with the router bit facing down the bit spins clockwise. When
cutting a circle and you want to keep the circle, you want to keep the
convex part of the cut, the router should go counter clockwise.

When keeping the concave side of the cut the router should be going
clockwise.

Going in the direction described above the bit will resist feed. If you
go in the opposite direction for both operations above the bit will try
to climb into the cut.

Basically you want the bit to be cutting/pulling away from the keeper side.