Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

On 4/6/2019 8:29 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/1/2019 10:03 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/29/2019 7:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm still trying to learn things about my planer....

I need to plane some poplar down by no more than 1/32". However, the
boards
are already cut to length and have tenons on the ends. (Don't ask)

I really want to avoid any snipe on these boards so I'm thinking of
using
the Sacrificial Board technique. Here's my idea:

Cut a groove in the sacrificial board, insert the tenons in the
groove, and
run it all through the planer.Â* With the setup shown below, I can
easily run
4 boards through at one time. (I'm only showing 2 in this example) My
only
concern is that the sacrificial board(s) will be planed cross grain.

https://i.imgur.com/s3bxz1G.jpg

Â*From a safety perspective, is there any reason I shouldn't try this?

Yes, I know I could do the same thing with a sacrificial board running
with the grain, but I'm sure this question will start an interesting
discussion, as usual.

Typically snipe happens because of the play in the cutter head.Â* Or the
material is not PERFECTLY flat.
I always lifted the board a bit as it entered the planerÂ* and again on
the out feed side I lifted the end of the board as the material exited
the planer.

Typically, it happens because of the feed rollers.Â* Only one roller
apples pressure at the beginning and end of the cut, creating uneven
pressure.Â* You can tell because the snipe is always the length of the
distance of the in feed/out feed rollers from the blades. Lifting the
work piece at the beginning and end of cut tends to offset this somewhat.

I am going to disagree to some extent. I can easily prevent it by
slightly lifting the board as it enters and exits the planer. My snipe,
when I do not do anything to prevent it, is always on two different
planers and at the very end of the boards. Not in between the distance
between the in feed/out feed rollers and the knives. My snipe is
seldom, again on two different planers, more than 3/4".