Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default 'Like a Ferrari, you don't need it' - New Zealanders set to turnin guns

On 04/05/2019 12:37 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/4/2019 9:52 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 04/04/2019 06:58 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 18:08:01 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

It would be as easy to make a bolt action into a "blowback" machine
gun as most semi autos that were not first designed as machine guns.

Now that would take a Real Machinist ! I have a small machine shop
and I know where to get the plans to make a couple of different arms
into full autos . But that $250,000 fine and ten years in prison is a
pretty good deterrent . Especially since I don't have any arms that can
be easily converted - and have less than zero need for one . I
prefer to
do my work with bolt actions at a slightly longer distance ... Rock
chucks at 400 meters anyone ?

I prefer just a six shot revolver. It goes bang every time and won't
jam with brass at ejection.

Unless you're Jerry Miculek there is a bit of a pause between bang 6
and bang 7. Unless you've got one of those fancy Smith 627s of
course. The first time I saw someone shooting one of those there was a
WTF? moment at bang 7.

I always assumed I was slow to reload because I'm left handed but then
I realized right handed people do a juggling act too.

I prefer my revolver to my semi as I reload and it is a pain to pickup
ejected brass.

Winter and mud season makes revolvers and .22's very attractive.

https://www.natchezss.com/caldwell-brass-retriever.html

A guy at the pistol club had one of those. It didn't work very well on a
pistol bay with grass, rocks, and so on. It certainly doesn't work when
the brass melts its way into 2' of snow. I've used a tarp to catch most
of the cases and went back in the spring for the rest if someone else
didn't get there first.