Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris B[_2_] Chris B[_2_] is offline

Default Mains Water Pressure. What is "typical"?

On 05/04/2019 10:09, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
On 04/04/2019 18:41, wrote:

A pressure regulator only really works with a flow through it.

Not so.

The static pressure (when no flow) will always be higher than the set
point (although not necessarily the fill input pressure - that depends
on the volume of pipework downstream). The downstream plumbing must be
able to handle the static pressure, not just the regulators set point
pressure.

That is just plain WRONG.

That was my initial thoughts as well, but I think it depends on just how
pedantic he is being

http://www.beswick.com/basics-pressure-regulators

shows the principle of zero flow rate regulators and goes on to define

Lock Up Pressure
€śLockup pressure€ť is the pressure above the set-point that is required
to completely shut the regulator valve off and insure that there is no flow.

But I suspect that for domestic plumbing applications the difference
between lock up pressure and set point pressure will be lost in the noise.

For example as I found out recently my mains pressure HW cylinder has a
regulator on the input.Â* When the pressure rises above 2.1 bar it shuts
off flow into the tank completely. There is an air bubble pressure
maintainer so that there is 'elasticity' in the system.

The valve on your loo shuts off input completely. That does not mean the
cistern is at 10 bar!

You are thinking of flow reduction as a means to achieve pressure
reduction. Then what you say applies, but thatÂ* is not what a proper
pressure reducer does.

No I think he is being very pedantic

--
Chris B (News)