Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Beta VCR won't eject tape

On 4/3/2019 6:52 AM, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 1:07:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Beta was 1970s, so probably a handful of belts that have rotted, broken or stretched.

Well, Sony made Betas up to the early 2000s, so you only missed that by a couple of decades.

I'm surprised to hear that, I got out of VCR repair in 1994, when I
decided the purchase price for a new VCR was getting so low, that people
would rather buy a new one than pay my repair prices.
I timed it right, I alerted another tech I was leaving so he could take
over my work, I went back 13 months later and he said he only came in 3
days a week to do any repairs that came in.
I did 11,000 repairs in a 10 year stint, but did very little Sony
repair, maybe 1% or 2%. Although in another job (1972) I repaired Sony
1/2" reel to reel video recorders, the AV3600 and AV3650, then later
3/4" Umatic cassette recorder and players, VO-1000 and V0-1600.
In the 80's we had 3 big box electronics franchise stores in our area,
they all boomed when vcr's came out and the sales were very brisk.
We did manufacturer warranty and store warranty repair for all three.
Old memories!
Mikek