Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Beta VCR won't eject tape

On 03/04/2019 06:07, wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 05:48:34 UTC+1, whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 8:17:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Hi I have a sony betamax, I can see even though there is no tape inside, the mechanizem inside is in position like there is a tape inside. Only know this because I have a working beta sony to compare. Any help? When i press power ect it does try to eject but that metal tab piece doesnt move the one that normally grab the tape and brings it around.

The most likely problem in the current century is a snapped belt (rubber band)
That means you want to open the gizmo, find the rubber scrap that used to
be a belt, measure it, and cut something out of a tire innertube that more-or-less
matches (or get an O-ring the right size from a mechanical-supplies outfit).

A cleanup and light greasing (silicone grease is messy, but effective) might also help,
and if you find dead insects in the mechanism, those ought to be removed.

Except for the little brittle parts of the heads, a wipe with cotton swabs moistened
with isopropyl alcohol is usually beneficial to the moving and contact-with-tape parts.

I always marvelled at how they simplfied the mechanisms as the years rolled by. Last generation VCRs really didn't have much mechanicals in them.

Beta was 1970s, so probably a handful of belts that have rotted, broken or stretched. Try to resist paying premium belt prices except for places where speed stability is critical.

NT

All belts need at least checking, including any mode switch belt.
Another age related common defect is cracked plastic of first pinion on
the mode switch motor (plastic on steel does not like temp
changes/brittling of plastic over time)