Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default How should I make this curve?

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 7:36:09 AM UTC-7, Greg Guarino wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...n/photostream/

It will be 34.5" long, with a 32" radius according to Sketchup. I imagine some of you might do it with a band saw and a spindle sander, but that's not an option for me.

In solid wood, it's easy to kerf near the curve, then... just carve the thing with a wide chisel.
A drawknife is good, too, but chisel is fast, and a spokeshave can finish it just fine.

Minimal tools for this job would be a crosscut saw and wide chisel, and layout is a matter
of string and pencil work. Power tools, while nice, aren't required, unless it were
in plywood; can't chisel that well at all, and the spokeshave will clog badly...

I'd want to consider non-circular curves, too; freeform is a side benefit of leaving
motorized tools shelved.