Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Planing Across The Grain, Just To Prevent Snipe

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 9:47:42 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 3/30/2019 6:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 2:38:35 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

2) jointer

Don't have one, not going to buy one.

Can't do without...

Sorry, I gotta call BS on that one. Newsgroups, forums, youtube, magazines,
etc. are filled with the line "If you don't have a jointer..." followed by
a workaround. There are thousands of woodworkers that have built lots
of stuff without a jointer. I've built beds, bookcases, base cabinets, a
cribbage board or three, benches, night stands, a kitchen island, an
entertainment center, etc, etc. all without a jointer.

When you don't have room, you do it some other way or on very occasions,
find someone to do it for you. You can certainly do without. Thousands of
us do.

You were from your POV, I was from mine...

Yes, POV certainly matters. So does actual physical limitations and the
balance between working wood and the rest of day-to-day life.

if it were me, I'd make the room...

Marie Antoinette is famous for uttering the phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la
brioche", essentially "Let them eat cake." This is often attributed to the
supposition that she had a poor understanding of the peasants' situation.
From my POV, your "I'd make the room" comment sounds a lot like "Let them
eat cake."

You may have heard me mention that my shop is rather small. By small I
mean less than 1.5 times the size of the average prison cell in the US.
By small I mean that every inch of wall space is used up. By small I mean
that ripping boards longer than 5' means rolling the table saw into middle
of the shop and angling it so that I can start the cut from out in the
back yard. By small I mean that my planer is out in the garage, up the
stairs and on the opposite side of my house. It's on a rolling cart and
other garage items need to be moved in order for it to be used. By small
I mean that assembling anything larger than a drawer means setting up an
assembly table in the main part the basement, much to the displeasure, but
luckily also to the understanding, of SWMBO. By small I mean that my band
saw is currently tucked behind the furnace because I didn't have room to
build the bench for my daughter with it in the shop. By small I mean that
I have already spread my jig and tool storage out into the main part of
basement, again impacting SWMBO's use of the space.

Let's try it this way: My neighbor's house is exactly the same as mine.
He is a master woodworker compared to me. He shop was also in the same
size space and he went through many of the same things that I go through
until he decided to upgrade. He doubled the size of his shop by adding a
$30K addition to his house. After that he had a permanent spot for his
planer and jointer. (He has since moved so his jointer is not available
for my use.)

I'd love to do the same thing, but unfortunately my house it too close to
lot line to add any size of an addition that would be cost effective. I
guess I could move...

So you see, it's not just as simple as "I'd make the room". When there is
no room, there is no room.

if you want to continue to struggle, so be it; your call.

Translation: "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

Now that I'm back at it, I've discovered that some of the boards are thicker
than others. A rookie mistake 5 years ago, but I didn't have a planer at the
time anyway. Now I do, and I think I can fix the problem as I dry fit each
door and determine how much, if any needs to be planed off.

If you at least cut the grooves/tenons from the same side, just go ahead
and assemble and then take the finished doors to a pro to run them
through the sander...

I had that same idea last night. As I mentioned, it's been 5 years since
this project was started. I need to pull out a few more frame parts, dry
fit them and see if that is an option.