Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Getting a damaged screw out

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 13:41:09 +1100, "Jac Brown"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
On 3/28/2019 8:48 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/27/2019 11:50 PM, Jac Brown wrote:
My initial thought was a screw extractor/easy out but the don't really
go small enough. The threaded part is only 5.5mm thick. The smallest
screw extractor is listed as 3mm which might well work with a hole
drilled into where the philips slots used to be.

https://www.thegrabitstore.com/collections/grabit-micro

I've never used one on plastic or the micro sizes but I've had
excellent
results with standard machine screws. One end creates something like a
countersink in the damaged screw head. Then you reverse the bit and it
grabs. You do need a reversible drill motor.

It's a lot easier than drilling a pilot hole for a standard screw
extractor. They're the cat's nuts for deck screws no matter what drive
type. I've used them on damaged Torx fasteners on the bike too.

I was skeptical when I saw a set in the hardware store but I became a
true believer. Worse case you stall the drill motor or break off the
screw because they don't let go. It also avoids the trip to an EDM shop
when you break off the hardened extractor and are really screwed so to
speak.

I read somewhere that alum will dissolve steel ... yup , just checked
it
out , dissolves steel but doesn't affect aluminum .

Problem is that its head down in the car so not easy to dissolve
the broken extractor, the I spose it is unlikely to break with a
plastic screw. And the part the screw goes into is sheet metal
and just a small tab, not a hole is a metal plate.

Might be safer to just drill the plastic screw out I spose.

Any other solution is "a solution looking for a problem"

Couldn't put my hand on an electric drill short enough front
to back with a drill bit in it to fit so I gave up for the moment
until the extractor arrives. Don't have a hoist I can use.