Joseph Meehan

Default Phone static at the box means...

wheel wrote:
I admit this is not the rocket science question of the day. But
during a recent storm, I heard a huge bag on the phone as I was
talking. That phone seems to be dead. That line is full of serious
static. Any phone I put on that line renders bigtime static. I
switched the wires that handle that line from the box to the main
phone jack and the static was still there. Then I looked more
carefully at the phone box and saw those little connector wires going
to the terminal area. I unplugged and used a phone there and heard
the static very clearly.

So, deduction of the day, the problem is not in the house. Right?

The only reason I doubt it at all is that when I placed the repair
order the phone company person tested the line and said it was ok.
I'll have to pay for the visit if it's a fault in the house. But
probably the test routine they ran wasn't very meaningful.

Sorry I did not read all the other messages so this may have been said,
but I suggest that if you totally disconnect your home wiring and connect a
phone at the junction box and you still have the problem, you have pined it
one the phone company (BTW, check with your neighbors to see if they also
have a problem and check out your "known good" phone on their line to make
sure it is known good.)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math