Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Microwave oven

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 07:25:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, 25 March 2019 20:08:42 UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If the microwave oven doesn't kill you, perhaps the popcorn will?
"Man shocked to death by exploding microwave"
https://www.news24.com/World/News/man-shocked-to-death-by-exploding-microwave-20181109
Please remember that you have only one life to give to your hobby or
profession.

Which part of a microwave is even capable of explosion?

It's difficult to tell from the article, which offers several
theories. The first paragraph suggests that microwave exploded,
giving him a shock. The fifth paragraph suggests that he was
electrocuted. Forensic investigators are still investigating. The
usual online expert claimed "The high-voltage microwave oven may have
charged something intentionally left inside and caused the explosion"
which I presume means he left a hand grenade in the oven while
preparing the popcorn. Another suggested that he was murdered by his
wife and then blamed the microwave. For all I know, it could have
been the vacuum cleaners fault.

I prefer to believe that he was killed by the popcorn. Popcorn is
normally quite safe prepared in a microwave oven, as long as each
kernel pops at a different time. However, if all the kernels were to
pop at exactly the same time, they might produce a steam explosion.
Statistically, that's very unlikely, but still possible.

This is what happens when I cooked a yam for 16 minutes instead of 6
minutes:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/burned-yam.html
There was no explosion, but there was plenty of fire, smoke, and
stench. When I opened the door, the inside of the yam was glowing
dull red.

Why do microwaves explode?
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-microwaves-explode

And how would said explosion result in electrocution?

Good questions. I don't have an answer. Explosive disassembly
normally disconnects the wires that might present an electrocution
hazard. In this situation, explosive assembly (with burns) is very
unlikely.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558