Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Dell Inspiron N5110: System time does not advance when unit isoff.

On 3/26/2019 10:49 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 2:59:29 PM UTC-7, John Robertson wrote:
On 2019/03/25 10:28 a.m., David Farber wrote:
This Dell Inspiron N5110... The system time does not advance
when the unit is turned off.

Something is wrong with the on-board RTC - Real Time Clock.

You need to identify that chip or module and first see if its crystal is
damaged.

Another poster has suggested a circuit diagram
http://kythuatphancung.vn/uploads/download/22163_DELL_N5110.pdf

and the crystal would be X2101 and its associated components, R2101, C2101, C2102,
depicted on 'sheet 21 of 108' (see the label on lower left page corners) and connected
to pins A20 and C20 of the 'Cougar Point' big integrated circuit.

On page 99 of the schematic you can see the CMOS battery output labeled
as RTC_AUX_S5. I did a text search for that and it took me to page 27
which shows VBACKUP. There are two partial circuits there. One appears
to be for the CMOS battery backup and the other one, 3D3V_AUX_KBC,
appears to be the backup power supplied when the unit is turned on. Both
of these circuits point to EC GPIO72. Regarding the RTC_AUX_S5 diagram,
there's an orange ellipse around the specifications for a resistor. It
says 10mW 0R0402-PAD-2-GP. Might that be a fusible link? Also, I see the
words "stuff" and "un-stuff" appearing frequently in the schematic. Are
those synonyms for install and remove?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber