Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceramic glass hob

On Tuesday, 26 March 2019 22:18:38 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/03/2019 18:43, tabbypurr wrote:

Can they be cleaned with conc acid? Or caustic? Looking for an
effective cleaner that'll tackle it all.

Unless you are used to handling seriously corrosive chemicals it is
probably a lot safer to get someone experienced in to do it. The lady
who did ours managed to get a caustic burn answering her mobile phone
despite using the proper PPE - it only takes a moments distraction.

Strong caustic will get one that has been abused to the point of having
5mm layers of burnt on greasy carbon muck on all the rings which is how
our hob was returned to us when we returned home from overseas.

Modest levels should be cleanable with the basic soft cream cleaner sold
specifically for ceramic hobs. Anything too aggressive by way of
abrasive will potentially weaken it with scratches. It is much better to
keep it clean than to allow it to get badly messed up and then nuke it.

So caustic works, thank you. I'll ignore the condescending stuff.

NT