Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Look165 Look165 is offline

Default Dell Inspiron N5110: System time does not advance when unit isoff.

BIOS settings are kept by the battery, not only time and date.
IF time slips or BSOD, it means the battery is dead or holder.
If not, Flash EEPROM is dying.
Anyway, if your PC can work, try HW32INFO.

David Farber a écrit le 25/03/2019 Ã* 18:28Â*:
This Dell Inspiron N5110, which has Windows 7 Home Premium installed,
was given to me because upon startup it would BSOD with a
REGISTRY_ERROR. That was resolved with a system restore but I noticed
another problem which has me puzzled. The system time does not advance
when the unit is turned off. I went into the BIOS setup and noticed
that within the time configuration, the seconds were not ticking. Once
the machine is booted into Windows, the automatic time synchronization
will eventually set it to the correct time and it stays that way until
it's powered off. The CMOS battery measures above 3 volts in circuit
and all the other BIOS settings are saved when the machine is off. I
tried temporarily removing the battery to reset the BIOS and the
result was that the time reverted back to several years earlier
however the seconds were ticking normally. I entered the correct
time/date and restarted the computer and all was well. I turned it off
for a while and then powered it on again and entered the BIOS setup.
The time was stuck again and the seconds were not advancing. It seems
to me that no matter what condition the Windows operating system is
in, it shouldn't be able to interrupt the time function when the set
is powered off. I tried updating the BIOS to a newer version but that
just crashed the machine. (Fortunately it didn't brick the machine). I
found other users complaining about the frozen clock issue but as yet
have found no solution. Here is an example of a similar complaint.
https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...e/td-p/4122751

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this suspension of time?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA