Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Microwave oven

On Tuesday, 26 March 2019 19:33:48 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 3:23:05 PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Seems some poor, terrified folk here appear to believe defusing an IED to
be less of a hazard than fixing a common domestic appliance!

Not so much. What it comes down to is that a microwave oven is a commodity cheaply available and generally pretty reliable, that also, with basic care will last very nearly indefinitely. In the 40 years I have used such devices, I can state with absolute specificity that I have never had to trash such a unit for failure. Wear, cosmetics, unsuitability, sure. But total failure, no.

The most expensive unit we own is at our summer house, an over-stove device with pretty much every bell and whistle out there, including the wash-car, walk-dog options. Which we purchased on-sale for $150. We have a equally "optimized" counter-top unit at home that we got for $115, and it just turned 10. We have no place for an over-counter unit in any case.

With that in mind, there is no reason on this planet to attempt to repair such a device,

A simple nonsequitur. You might not wish to do a minor repair to save $100-400, but some do. And sometimes getting an oven that fits a certain space can be tricky, repairing is then much quicker.

NT