external usenet poster

Default Microwave oven

On Tuesday, 26 March 2019 16:57:20 UTC, three_jeeps wrote:
On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 10:22:39 AM UTC-4, tabb wrote:
On Monday, 25 March 2019 17:45:49 UTC, three_jeeps wrote:
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 12:34:31 PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 14:18:03 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Likely candidates are the HV diode & HV fuse. Of course it can be other
things. And of course they're in the killer section.

Spot on. Blown 5kV fuse and HV diode open circuit both directions.
Transformer secondary showing 188 ohms across the winding, so *hopefully*
a quick fix. But I'd better just check the magnetron first.......
:-/

Aside from sprinkling bits of technical troubleshooting and safety advice in a string of email exchanges, I was reminded of this comprehensive 'Microwave repair' document. Should be read and understood before one even unplugs the device to be repaired.

(When one considers that the charge stored in the microwave capacitor is significantly (x10+) the charge from public defibrillators (AEDs) the energy is definitely high enough to put a human being horizontal - permanently!)

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm#micpre

j

like so many documents, too many errors early in the piece to finish reading.

NT

Care to elaborate on the errors? aside from the dead links....

From the bit I read...

"Microwave ovens are without a doubt, the most deadly type of consumer electronic equipment in wide spread use. "

nothing to do with reality

"Connoisseurs of fine dining will turn up their collective noses at the thought of using a microwave oven for much beyond boiling water - if that."

half true. Reality is microwaving is the best way to cook some things taste-wise - as well as being a lousy option for some.

"the microwave oven has not changed substantially in the last 20 years."

half true, most haven't changed significantly in about 40 years.

"Touchpads are now nearly universal because they are cheaper to manufacture than mechanical timers (and also more convenient)"

cheap nukes are normally mechanical control, thus I could conclude mechanical controls are cheaper.

"Bad interlocks switches or door misalignment causing fuses to blow or no operation when the start button is pressed. Locate and replace defective switches and/or realign door."

risky advice. The shorting resistor must always be checked, otherwise the oven may cook but interlock has no ability to cut the power by shorting if there is a further door/interlock fault.

"Blown fuse due to power surge or old age: Replace fuse. On rare occasions, the main fuse may even be intermittent causing very strange symptoms. "

again the shorting resistor must be checked.

"if you can do the repair yourself, the equation changes dramatically as your parts costs will be 1/2 to 1/4 of what a professional will charge"

I never paid anything like that for nuke parts
I didn't read any further.

NT