Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Dell Inspiron N5110: System time does not advance when unit isoff.

On 26/03/2019 17:15, John Robertson wrote:
On 2019/03/26 10:12 a.m., David Farber wrote:

Now that I have the schematic, it should be fairly simple (famous last
words, right?) to track down the fault.

Nothing better than fixing stuff IMHO.

We generate enough garbage that keeping something going that is still
useful is worth the effort, puls the brain cells need exercise!

Quite

The reason why I pipped in, was that I was researching a real time clock
/ NVRAM fix to a 27-year old Sun X terminal [1], and came across a
description of a 'kick start' procedure to initialise the installation a
new clock module (a 28pin DIL chip like the popular DALLAS type).
However, I just needed a new battery fitted to my old one, and set about
mine with a hacksaw like this ...

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2017/08/01/gw-48t02-1

[1] For the hell of it, and a break from coding with much faster RPi
things, I've been wandering down retro memory lane putting life back
into an old discarded Sun Sparc Classic X. (removing the X terminal
nature of the beast and installing a 1GB SCSI HDD, 72-pin parity SIMM,
NetBSD 8.0 etc).

It doesn't really have a purpose (unit lacks USB, CPU runs at 50MHz) but
the retro experience has reignited some brain cells - so it's kind of
therapeutic. In twenty-thirty years time, I'll probably have the same
fun with old Core2Duo driven things like what I am using here.

For a healthy mind, I heartily recommend this time travelling retro
hobby. Sure beats sudoku and eating lots of fish ...

--
Adrian C