Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Confirm, old fuel

On 23/03/2019 08:15, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 22/03/2019 22:05, wrote:
On Friday, 22 March 2019 21:53:08 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

I have *never* drained the fuel from my B&S lawnmower at the end of the
season and it has always started in the spring with a couple of extra
pulls. Been doing this for at least 20 years now.

Tim

I always drain the fuel from garden machinery before the winter or other
period of little use. There is an aditive you can buy to make starting
easier after prolonged inactivity. Getting rid of old fuel is more of a
problem now that both are cars are diesel. Fortunately my modern grass
cutters do start much more easily than the old ones. Maybe some sot of
electronic ignition.

--
Michael Chare