Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom illuminated mirror problem - UPDATE

On 22/03/2019 18:14, BrianR wrote:
replying to ARW, BrianR wrote:
I see it was some moths ago, but I have the same fitting. Did you ever find
an 18" LED tube? I couldn't. I also can't find a ballast of the same size
(length 240mm fixings).

Bian R

No, I couldn't find any 18" LED tubes. I found some ordinary fluorescent
tubes - but they didn't fix the problem.

I then bought a ballast from CP Lighting Ltd of Surbiton. It wasn't
identical to the original, but it worked fine. I can't see the exact one
on their website, but are several others which would probably do.

The one I bought was specified for 2 x 18w - 24w T8 tubes rather than 2
x 15w, but that didn't seem to matter.

It was slightly shorter and quite a lot wider than the original. Width
wasn't a problem - there's plenty of room. I needed to bolt a short
fish-plate to one end to make it the right length to fit the fixing points.

The connections on the new one were push-fit, and only worked with rigid
conductors, whereas the captive wires connected to the old one were
stranded. I got round that by using short rigid wires into the ballast,
joined to the original wires with choccy blocks. [I think I used crimps
on the mains input wires.]

I could probably have saved a few bob by just replacing the ballast -
but anyway the thing now has a new lease of life!
--
Cheers,
Roger