Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mad electrical question

On Friday, 22 March 2019 12:13:07 UTC, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:02:17 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:
On 22/03/2019 01:26, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 21 March 2019 16:41:09 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 21/03/2019 16:12, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 21 March 2019 12:53:00 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 20/03/2019 19:39, ARW wrote:
On 20/03/2019 18:11, Scott wrote:

I discovered a problem with a join in a ring main and decided to
replace the faulty connector with a terminal block.Â* I wondered if
this needs to be rated at 30A to correspond with the fuse (RCBO) or if
15A would be okay on the basis that it is a ring and some of the
current will go each way round.

On the Brunel principle I am fitting 30A but I am curious to know..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYD8e7idnY

The video shows that the connectors will carry the current when new..
But what happens after they have had a few thermal cycles?
I would think the wire nut and the choc block will fail first.

Choc block & crimp are gas-tight, so should last.
Wago might be gas tight if the wire is never moved, it certainly won't be if any movement occurs.
Wirenuts aren't gas tight. US electrical fires are a testament to that.

NT

choc block are not gas tight.

yes they are. You're free to go & learn something.

That does rather depend on if there was adequate screw pressure created
when the termination was made. Also on terminations that cycle through a
larger temperature range, its not uncommon for terminal pressure to
loosen with time.

I never imagined my question would generate such a response :-)

I am tempted to change to a 30A block just for peace of mind, even
though I am sure the method I have used is fine :-( :-( :-( In
fact, I think I'll get my mate (who is a retired electrical engineer)
to carry out a full risk assessment.

If you put both cables in the full length of the connector rather than folding each, a 15A connector is fine.

NT