Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Inverter Generator (Follow-On)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 06:26:39 -0400, "J.B. Wood"
wrote:

The 50 or 60 Hz output of
the inverter-generator has to be traceable/locked to some internal time
reference, not the rpm of the engine. A crystal seems a likely
candidate as I don't think these appliances have an internal cesium or
rubidium clock :-) Sincerely,

Ceramic (piezo) resonators are a more likely frequency determining
element.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_resonator
I'll resist the temptation to tear apart my neighbors Genrac inverter
generator to see what it uses. Ceramic resonators have 3 big
advantages over quartz crystals:
1. They're cheaper.
2. They're cheaper.
3. They're cheaper.
However, for a non-critical frequency reference, such as the 50/60Hz
from an inverter, a simple RC time constant with some temperature
compensation would probably be good enough.

Conventional gasoline generators usually run at 3600 rpm, which sets
the output frequency. Inverter generators can adjust the rpm to match
the load and have the inverter section determine the output frequency.
That also allows the generator to brushless, quiet, more efficient,
and have a faster response to changes in load.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D