Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Craftsman TS Arbor Replacement - Going In Through The Side WorksFine

On 3/20/2019 6:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 7:04:49 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2019 7:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 1:59:45 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2019 12:50 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/17/2019 6:14 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 12:58:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

I think the fact that you R&R'd parts caused this issue.Â* It is not
unusual for the blade to be somewhere else after a major parts
replacement.
Â* Since the days of assembly line and interchangeable parts that should
NOT happen.

When humans are involved in the assembly process there are issues that
can come up.Â* Take two off of the assembly line and see of they are
precisely identical.

Just another thought on this. He had his TS blade aligned to the fence
with a worn out bearing. A new bearing will place the blade in a new
position.

Now Derby did have a reasonable explanation but gosh, why realign the
front end on a car after replacing ball joints or tie rod ends?

I think you're on my side, but even I have to question your "new bearing
will move the blade" theory. Why?

In my case, the front bearing (good) was sandwiched between the flange
and a c-clip. The rear bearing (bad) was sandwiched between an e-clip and
a c-clip.

Since the bearings had to end up in the same position on the shaft, why
would a new bearing (either one), in and of itself, reposition the blade?

Worn bearings introduce play, especially with a load from the material
being feed. You adjust with the blade turning and work from there, if
the bearing is shot.

A New bearing will take out the play. Time to readjust.

I used to have the same saw that you have. I could adjust the blade to
the miter slot and then the fence to the slot. Cut results were
unpredictable. I finally got to where I would simply sneak up on the
right adjustment for the fence after making a test cut.

What kind of fence did you have? I fought the original for too long. Replaced
it with the Delta T3 and it was like buying a new saw. Very consistent.

LOL. The tweaks we go through to make this saw into a usable one.

I ended up putting a Jet Exacta fence on it. A smaller version of the
one that was on my Jet cabinet saw. That required longer extension
wings which I built and covered with plastic laminate. My left and
right extension wings were both stamped steel although the table top was
cast iron. I also built a fold down out feed table and the saw sat on
top of a mobile cart with 3~4 drawers on each side along with a
compartment in the center that caught most all of the saw dust. With
the cart I no longer used the legs. I never replaced the 1 HP motor. I
recall it was difficult to make long cuts with out stalling the motor,
until I bought a quality regular kerf blade. I had been using
inexpensive think kerf blades.

I used the plans from WoodSmigh magazine for the folding out feed table
and mobile cart.

I could probably find the plans and send your way if you are interested.

I had to cut the rails due to the size of my shop. When I upgraded to the
Bosch Glide Miter Saw, I was going to sell my old Delta. I never got around
to it and glad I didn't:

https://i.imgur.com/GX8oHaZ.jpg