Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's it called? - a latching spring retraction mechanism

On 21/03/2019 07:11, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 23:40:49 +0000, wrote:

Yes, I remember them being popular in the 70s. There must be lots in
recycling skips - I'll look in the local one.

Basically a block-and-tackle arrangement with a weight and lots of friction...

https://www.amazon.de/MonsterShop-Zu.../dp/B07DP2N7Z1

(just to illustrate the principle of the thing)

Thomas Prufer

No, the ones I remember used a slightly larger than usual "ceiling
rose", with the suspension cord winding up and down on a rotary spring
mechanism within it. Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dar-Light-R.../dp/B00FOYQNOY

SteveW