Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default How long will damp take to dry out?

On Thursday, 21 March 2019 01:53:26 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 13:23:05 UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 11:05:05 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 07:50:30 UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 September 2005 12:41:02 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Just had the exterior of a Victorian house repainted/re-rendered. The solid
walls
are about 450mm thick. There was penetrating damp on some of the inside
wall.
These walls are still damp but we assume that it will take some time for the
the
brickwork to dry out. (In fact some of the internal damp seems to have got
worse - probably because it is now less easy for trapped damp it to escape
externally).

The building is about 15m high. Damp occurs at all levels. How long is
reasonable
to wait before we can expect the inside to be dry, assuming the source of
damp
has now been eliminated? The building is well ventilated and it is not
condensation.

exterior waterproof coatings don't normally help a damp situation on old houses

Speed things up.
Get yourself a dehumidifier.
Be sure to keep the room sealed when it is running.

the damp is on all levels, it would be better not to seal the room.

Not when you're running a dehumidfier.
You don't want to be dehumidifying the great outdoors.

Most of us use dehumidifiers indoors. And most houses have the windows closed in the middle of winter. Is this really worth discussing? No.

NT

Well, you made the silly remark.