Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mad electrical question

On 20/03/2019 19:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Scott has brought this to us :
I discovered a problem with a join in a ring main and decided to
replace the faulty connector with a terminal block.* I wondered if
this needs to be rated at 30A to correspond with the fuse (RCBO) or if
15A would be okay on the basis that it is a ring and some of the
current will go each way round.

On the Brunel principle I am fitting 30A but I am curious to know.

I treat the current rating only as a guide for the cable size they are
able to accept, rather than a rating of the actual connector. I would
happily use a 15amp, providing I could get both cable in and allow them
to overlap, so both terminal screws tighten onto both cables.

That's fair for your traditional chock block style connector, but
possibly less so for wago style ones where the individual wires are
connected only though the connector and make no direct contact with
each other.

--
Cheers,

John.