Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default F Plugs

On 20/03/2019 12:46, Terry Casey wrote:
In article -
september.org, lid says...

I must admit that I've never used a screw on F connector or
even handled one - and I don't ever intend to!

Another missing reply from John:

In light of that statement, this discussion seems to have
taken on a rather ironic twist. Do I sense a little back
tracking?

***

None at all. Assuming that, aside from the screwed thread, the
plug's construction was otherwise normal, I couldn't see how
it would be possible for the cable to straddle the central
tube so that the screening braid and sheath were outside it!

Now that you've explained that there is no tube to obstruct
the cable, I can see how you did it.

I did attempt in my very first post, make it clear I was talking about
the twist on style of plug. To be fair I had assumed that you were
familiar with this type of plug, which subsequently appears may have
been an assumption too far. Hence why I was having difficulty seeing
exactly what point you were getting at.

Hopefully now familiar with the twist on plug design, you understand
that the bodge I described will not in any way impact the RF performance
of the connection. Its just more time consuming and less convenient way
of fitting a plug to a thin cable.

--
Cheers,

John.