Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default F Plugs

On 20/03/2019 12:10, Terry Casey wrote:
In article 5_-
,
says...

On 18/03/2019 18:18, Terry Casey wrote:

I'd love to know how you would get either of those connectors
to fit over the sheath of RG11 (10.3mm nominal).

You wouldn't - its insulating tape, not a TARDIS!

I was responding to your earlier statement "the screen is now
being provided by the threaded part of the plug - the size of
which is the same for all sizes of connector." which is
obviously untrue

I think you are confusing which thread - I am talking about the thread
whose size is dictated by the barrel of the female F connector, and
which matches the thread on the inside of the captive nut. These are the
only threaded parts that *might* be acting as a screen - and then only
when using "low loss" coax without a foil under the braided screen.

The thread designed to attach the plug to the cable is *always* outside
of the screen - even on non foiled cables.

- you won't get WF100 into a shotgun type
connector any more than you will get RG11 into any smaller
connector. The size of the threaded part of the plug is NOT
the same for all sizes of connector, as you have now stated.

The bit I am talking about is the same for all F connectors. Its part of
the standard. The other variable bit has no particular RF related
function - its there to provide mechanical attachment only.

You can make a plug fit the "correct" size of cable or one a bit
smaller, you can't as easily make it fit one that is too large to enter
even enter to cable grip section at all.

But that is not what you previously stated!

Its what I stated, but it might not be what you understood from what I
stated! :-))

I am assuming that the characteristics of the coax are controlled by the
spacing of iiii from the foil, and what material dddd is made from.

Correct.

So altering the arrangement to:

==== knurled barrel of plug
---- braid folded back
pppp outer plastic jacket - paddding
pppp outer plastic jacket - paddding
pppp outer plastic jacket
---- braid
ffff foil
dddd dielectric
iiii inner copper conductor
dddd dielectric
ffff foil
---- braid
pppp outer plastic jacket
pppp outer plastic jacket - paddding
pppp outer plastic jacket - paddding
---- braid folded back
==== knurled barrel of plug

Will not alter the critical defining characteristics of the coax at all.

OK so long as the foil screen is not removed. However, after
the problem I descrihed previously, I wouldn't take a chance.

Even if the foil screen is removed on the stripped bit of the cable, the
padding on top of the PVC sheath is still outside the *unstripped* part
of the cable where is still has full screen integrity.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |