Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default What's it called? - a latching spring retraction mechanism

On 20/03/2019 15:52, Marland wrote:
wrote:
As part of re-wiring the workshop I want to be able to pull down a
socket (on a flex) from the ceiling when required and then to have it
retract when not needed. The action would be something like a roller
blind: pull and let go to latch down, pull again to unlatch and retract.
The roller blind mechanisms are quite long and fit in a tube whereas I
need something that winds a string.
What do I need?

Assuming you mean something that isnt a actually winding the flex in like
on some lamps then if you are looking for something simple just to hang a
socket from then you could use an adjustable hanging basket hanger as used
to lower them for watering.

Link given as example only ,there are many other suppliers at more or less
cost.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LXaPu75TthSjbLz2A

GH

That looks interesting - I didn't know about those. It isn't obvious
whether they latch up and down so I'll look out for one to play with in
a garden centre.