Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default F Plugs

On 19/03/2019 19:47, Terry Casey wrote:
In article
,
says...

On 18/03/2019 23:27, Steve Walker wrote:
On 18/03/2019 14:09, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

I've only needed F-connectors at home and have preferred to use these
(inside and out):

https://www.screwfix.com/p/outdoor-c...ck-of-10/46242

The internals certainly do need to match the cable, as the inside edge
slides between the dialectric and the screen when you insert the cable.

As do all F connectors which makes me wonder how John managed
to get such a thin cable into a normal size connector!

Whereas the crimp on ones have a flat, internal endstop, with a central
cylinder sticking up from that endstop and forcing its way up, inside
the cable itself, the screw-on type (or at least the ones that I have
seen) don't. They simply have a flat, internal endstop, with a hole
through.

Yup, all the twist on ones I have seen have been like that - basically
like a pipe connector, with an internal flange to stop you inserting the
pipe too far.

The clearance hole just needs to be small enough to stop the outer
jacket going through, while being large enough to allow the the foil,
dielectric and inner to pass through.

I must admit that I've never used a screw on F connector or
even handled one - and I don't ever intend to!

In light of that statement, this discussion seems to have taken on a
rather ironic twist. Do I sense a little back tracking?

--
Cheers,

John.