Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Induction Hob - CU Change Needed?

On 19/03/2019 15:04, Jim K.. wrote:
Steve Walker Wrote in message:
On 18/03/2019 19:11, ARW wrote:
On 18/03/2019 08:26, Brian Reay wrote:

Personally, I'd not feel comfortable without having an immersion
heater as a back up. While we've not had many issues with our heating,
not having hot water for showers etc is a big issue.

That's everyone with a combi boiler up **** creek then.

Apart from the ones with electric showers:-)

--

Adam

The very reason I have resisted changing to a combi-boiler.

Even if power failed and we had neither boiler nor immersion, we'd still
have 40 gallons of hot water and with care could eke that out for a
couple of days before it became freezing cold to shower.

Shurely after the first 20 gallons had gone the temperature of
your "hot" water would be literally diluted by replacement
incoming mains cold?
Bagsy first shower!

Partly. The water forms layers, so the hot sits on top, which is why the
tanks have the cold feed to the bottom and the hot take-off at the top,
but of course there is some mixing and some heat transfer. The point
isn't that we can use all 40 gallons and have piping hot showers, it is
that even into the second day the water temperature remains, if somewhat
cool, at least bearable, whereas a faulty combi will be giving very cold
water from the start.

SteveW