Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Firewood moisture content

On 19/03/2019 09:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 2019-03-18 2:41 p.m., Vir Campestris wrote:
On 18/03/2019 05:00, FMurtz wrote:
Why does it matter? I have a wood heater and it does not matter
howÂ* wet the wood is once you have started the fire, It dries out

Damp wood results in condensation in the flue. Combined with the
products of the lower temperature combustion - which will include
tars - this can be a bit nasty for the poor old flue.

but the flames light up the yard so nicely
Â*A wood tar chimney fire tends to burn with a pale blue flame and a
moderate amount of noise. Anyone burning wet wood deserves what they
get. They are likely not to bother sweeping the chimney either.

Oh I burn wettish wood when I have to, but I keep my chimneys clean
these days.Â* Miust have had about 4-5 chimney fires in my time

Apropos of not much I have a vivid recollection of walking down the
steet at night in Belsize park and seeing the wall of the flatÂ* I was
sharing growing red hot...from an open fire, burning skip rubbish..

That is impressive. I have seen it discolour the wallpaper in bedrooms.

Not advice or recommendation but my log burner has been in Winter use
since 2009 without a chimney clean.
7" insulated liner.
I have looked down the top and shone a camera/light up the bottom and
found about 5mm of grey *fluff* attached to the walls. There seems
little point in brushing this out.
Mind, I have only ever burned furniture grade Oak:-)

Mine burns mostly dry wood and some coal. The grate is multi-fuel. I
sweep it once a year before serious use. It has a 5" insulated liner.
Only ever get grey fluffy stuff but if you leave it for too long one day
you will get an uncontrolled collapse of the stuff down the pipe.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown