Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default 2-stroke mixture

On 19/03/19 09:58, newshound wrote:
On 18/03/2019 19:41, ss wrote:
I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get
it working and sell on.
I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for
the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes.
For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil
I have for the chain saw.
for my short running time would the oil be that important?

I think that all of the cheap generators that I have seen have been four
strokes (copied from a Honda engine). Just saying.

The cheap ones, around £100 or less, tend to be 2 stroke. There are a
number which are 'badged'- typically 650-850W, with a petrol tank make
of pressed steel. They often have a 'cup' under the petrol cap to
measure the oil/petrol mix and the correct mix is marked on the tank
(from memory 50:1).

A four stroke will have somewhere to fill the 'sump' and possibly a
drain plug for same. The small Hondas don't have a drain, you tip the
beast up and pour the oil out of the filler.

Chain saw oil is the last type I'd use. Engine oil perhaps but the
proper stuff isn't expensive and why risk wrecking the engine?

Chances are the air filter has dried out. These are normally the foam
type. Wash in soapy water, rinse, squeeze, let dry. Then add just enough
engine oil to make dampish.

If it was left with petrol in the carb, chances are it will need
cleaning out. You may be lucky or you could try one of those sprays and
some 'carb cleaner' in the fuel.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ