Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default Disconnecting CFL bulb from powered circuit can cause damage?

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 8:09:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I am going to get a bit snarky here, as there is an entire class of the population that are so confused by actual facts that they *MUST* believe the opposite, or they will die.

a) Mosquitoes are poor flyers - generally as little as a 5 mph wind will give them difficulties. A breeze/fan is your best local defense.
b) Mosquitoes follow CO2, various scents and such in searching for their prey. Although they prefer warm-blooded prey, they will readily bite reptiles and amphibians should nothing else be available.

This is very old data, it's what the grad student working on his dissertation on mosquitos told me in college, and that was 1971. So there may be newer info, or he may have been wrong. There is as usual no chance I've remembered wrong! humor

But he said mosquitos were not attracted to CO2, but activated by it. CO2 just increased their random flying speed, causing them to be more likely to come into proximity to a warm blooded critter. He also said repellents didn't repel, but just made it harder for them to find you, so if the density was such they would bump into you anyway you were toast. (that was certainly true on a camping trip to Canada.)