Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Securing insulated plasterboard to steel lintel

On 19/03/2019 09:18, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 06:52:14 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 18/03/2019 23:18, Mathew Newton wrote:
The reviews sound good, apart from one notable review from someone who
wasn't happy that he only got 3 holes through his 12mm steel beam. I'll
take that as a good sign for my situation!

Possible it would have helped if the tip of the drill bit was not
running red hot

Cobalt is supposed to be cooled - impractical in most situations though.

They recommend a cutting fluid, but (as with HSS) drilling steel without
it is OK for a shallow hole, given the right combination of speed and
pressure, and "touch".

Hand-drilling a 12 mm steel beam is not easy. In the trade they would
use a drill press with a magnetic base, and almost certainly be applying
cutting fluid by hand.