Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Firewood moisture content

On 2019-03-18 2:41 p.m., Vir Campestris wrote:
On 18/03/2019 05:00, FMurtz wrote:
Why does it matter? I have a wood heater and it does not matter how
wet the wood is once you have started the fire, It dries out quickly.

Damp wood results in condensation in the flue. Combined with the
products of the lower temperature combustion - which will include
tars - this can be a bit nasty for the poor old flue.

but the flames light up the yard so nicely

A wood tar chimney fire tends to burn with a pale blue flame and a
moderate amount of noise. Anyone burning wet wood deserves what they
get. They are likely not to bother sweeping the chimney either.

Oh I burn wettish wood when I have to, but I keep my chimneys clean
these days. Miust have had about 4-5 chimney fires in my time

Apropos of not much I have a vivid recollection of walking down the
steet at night in Belsize park and seeing the wall of the flat I was
sharing growing red hot...from an open fire, burning skip rubbish..

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius