Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Internet and text (OT)

On 18/03/2019 14:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
We take for granted that we can find music on the Web - and Artist details
will be available about the track.

However, I find myself wondering who keyed in the information to make it
available. When was it done and what was the incentive - who owned it, etc.

Many of the businesses that supply this kind of content seemed to start
out as collaborative efforts... i.e. you can download the tracklist for
your CD collection here, and if you find any that are not in the
database please feel free to create your own with our editor. BTW, you
can upload the result back to us as well.

Since you would probably want to do the work for your own collection,
there was little additional cost to allow others to share it.

Its how something like IMDB started. I remember a time when you needed
to download the client to access the database, and then a complete
database plus weekly updates to get in all the new bits. It was a shared
community effort to keep it updated.

--
Cheers,

John.