Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Firewood moisture content

On 18/03/2019 05:00, FMurtz wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Can you estimate this with an ordinary multimeter? If so, what sort of
figures would indicate a moisture level below 20%?

I assume meters made for the purpose just measure resistance across a
fixed
distance, but I could be wrong.

Tim

Why does it matter? I have a wood heater and it does not matter how wet
the wood is once you have started the fire, It dries out quickly.

Depends how much you enjoy spectacular chimney fires when the tars and
oils that condense out in the flue decide to catch light. Wet wood
wastes a lot of energy boiling off its water content to no good end.

Most people round here have a wood burner to heat their home not to just
look pretty. It makes sense to season timber for burning at least 2
years and leave it to warm by the fireside for a while prior to burning.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown